Artisctic Me

Artisctic Me

Discover my Passion for Paintings

Discover my Passion for Paintings

samedi 23 mai 2009

My first Newspaper coverage


http://newtimes.co.rw/index.php?issue=13905&article=3793

This is the first newspaper article talking about my work as a painter. This qrticle was written by Peninnah Gatonnih and was in the Rwandan New Times of May 24th 2009.


Meet Sandra Idossou, the artist

Sandra Idossou.

BY PENINNAH GATHONI

Sandra Idossou is famously known for her extensive work to revolutionize the country’s customer service delivery. She is known to some as a writer and a consultant but very few people know of her secret passion- painting.

Idossou has been painting as a hobby but she says now it’s time to take her work onto the eyes of other art lovers. Sandra talks to the Sunday Times about her love for art and her upcoming exhibition.

Q. Briefly tell us something about yourself?

A. Well, I was born in Ghana. My father is Ghanaian and my mum is from Benin. I grew up in Benin and have lived in Togo, Nigeria, and Chad. I have been in Rwanda for the past 2 years.

Q. When did you begin painting?

A. I have always shared my love for art with my step father and my husband and so I guess I have always had its appreciation but I started actually painting about five years ago.

My passion for painting manifested itself after undergoing surgery in Dakar, Senegal. After the surgery, I was told I needed a two-week break. I decided to stay with a friend who then lived near the beach.

I would take afternoon walks with her and everyday I saw these painters who really intrigued me. My friend noticed my interest and bought me painting materials.

So it was in Senegal that I did my very first painting. When I returned home I carried painting materials and I have been painting in my free time ever since.

Q. What inspires you to paint?

A. I love painting because it is an excellent way of expressing one’s feelings and emotions. Probably because I also love travelling, painting is for me another way of travelling around different borders and cultures.

I have experienced many different cultures that inspire me to just paint. I am driven by the many experiences through life. I have been fortunate to travel to 27 African countries and each visit has been my inspiration.

There is a lot to see in Africa, it’s beautiful and it just inspires me to paint. Sensuality and manipulation of paint drives my work with lots of collage with fabrics, newspaper, plants. Some of the things I use in my work are just from the roadsides as I walk around in the city.

My paintings are not about one country; rather they are of the whole continent. My travel has inspired me to put it all in paintings.

Q. Why did you finally decide to exhibit your work?

A. Well, I realize that it would be selfish not to share my love for art with other people but I have been afraid to because I didn’t know what people would think.

Then I met Epaphrodite Binamungu of Iganzo and I showed him my work and he liked it. He has encouraged me all the way and pushed me to exhibit my work.

Knowing that he is a professional and he sees potential in my work gave me courage to finally showcase my work. I also love photography and use them a lot while painting. Rwanda is a beautiful country and I have many beautiful pictures I have taken during my stay here.

Q. Tell us about the exhibition?

A. I have dubbed it “The first” basically because it’s the first time I am sharing my work. The exhibition will be from May 28 until June 7. It will start with a cocktail on the 28th which is by invitation only but after that it will be open for anyone to view and buy the art.

I plan to exhibit 50 art pieces and about 20 photographs. I will also be showcasing different art forms from Ghana. The art pieces display many inputs from around Africa.

Expect flashy painting as I love bright colours that are in Africa. Africa is about beautiful bright colours and loud people and I try to capture all that in my work. I hope that everyone will come whether they love art or not so that we can all experience the beauty in art.

Q. What do you hope to accomplish with your art?

A. Well, my desire is just to inspire people to love art. I wish to pull more people who are scared of showing their work since they are not trained to do so to come out. I want young painters to be courageous enough to showcase their work.

Q. What should we expect from you in the future?

A. This is just the beginning for me. My work does not end here. Obviously I will have to paint more and more but my work will from now on be showcased. I hope to have more exhibitions with other local artists.

Q. The last word?

It’s been a long journey to this exhibition. I have been inspired and encouraged by artists like Epambi and Collins Sekajujo. I have hard great difficulty in finding sponsors and hence I thank Ecobank, Access bank, Laico hotel, Shei& Enz for believing in my work and for their support. I call upon you all to be there.

Ends

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire